Friday, October 25, 2013

Chapters 9 and 10 - Writing the Mystery Novel

Today's task was to set out all the possibilities as the librarian and two garbage men worked out what they knew to be true and what they knew to be false. Slowly, the suspect pool narrows.

I introduced a new character, a mean and nasty white cat based on a cat who lived in this house for eighteen years. Her name was Mean Old Ms. Baby Doll and that is the name of the cat in the story. MOMBD hated Gary and the cat in the story hates the heroine.

I continue to move bits and pieces of the story around to keep the momentum going while hiding the conclusion from the reader. As usual, I find something constructive to do when I run into a problem. Today it was making vegetable soup, thinking while chopping, stirring and tasting. By noon the soup was made and the chapters were done.

I have five more chapters to go. The last two are in place with very little to change so I expect to be done by Sunday night. Next week I will see if I can order the paperback.  There is one problem and that is the cover. I'm not sure what I should do about that.  Should it be of a garbage truck, a dumpster, an alley, a library? Or just a body?

It's time I learned to Photo Shop.  

***
This afternoon Wade Peterson posted his latest short story at Black Coffee Fiction here
  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/2013/10/dinner-and-photo.html

It's a story about doing good things in difficult situations.  How's your karma?

This means I have to write the next short story. I had a wonderful idea for another depressing Christmas story while I was out walking two days ago, but darned if I can remember what that was.  Oh well, something will come to me.

If I write three more Christmas stories, I will have enough for a collection in time for Christmas, 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment