Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Day of Heat and Sales

I went to Sissy's to sell books this morning, thinking that the citywide rummage sale would bring customers into town, but the heat kept everyone away. Dogs could have slept safely in the middle of Main Street. I had shade for three hours at least, so was not uncomfortable. Having ice cream helped but I gave up at 1:00 pm. My conclusion is that selling books in one's hometown is near to impossible.

In the afternoon, I went to rummage sales myself and found that the sellers, too, suffered from lack of buyers. I walked around a lot and found nothing worth buying except for one jacket. I didn't really need another jacket, but it was brand new, with the store tags still attached.  Originally $24.99, I got it for $1.00. It matches the pair of jeans I bought in Florence last week for 50 cents. Now I have the complete ensemble.

Yesterday, I found a small cupboard at the moving sale next door. It is exactly like the one we have in our kitchen, but when I called Gary on the cell phone, he said we absolutely had to have another so I bought that. That is not a sale I liked because it means that Elaine is moving some time next week. Thirty years of neighborly friendship over.  I like to think we'll keep that going, but my experience is that it won't.

Tomorrow, I'll be busy editing my share of the new Black Coffee Fiction collection.  Wade, Betty and I are aiming at having an e-book ready in a couple of weeks and a paperback by mid-October. My share will be about the happenings in the village of Glen Valley. It is fiction, but it does help to write about what I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment