Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Crossword Puzzles


Gary left early this morning to go to Seymour and Appleton to take care of things down there and go to see his doctor.

I was here at Lake Ottawa alone.  I hiked around, read, fed the chipmunks, wrote, and generally took it easy.  In the evening, the lake was glimmering through the trees.  Anita stopped by and invited me to her campsite fire until Gary returned.  But that is not what I want to write about.

When I returned from Seymour last time, for the life of me I could not remember if I had turned off the air conditioner. It bothered me that I might have left it running, wasting electricity. Gary said we were both forgetting things and that we had better start working on our memories.  His suggestion was that we do crossword puzzles. I was pretty good at them years ago so thought that would be no problem. I found a couple of crossword puzzle books at Dollar General created by one Myles Mellor and started working.

I hate Myles Mellor.

The puzzles were harder than I expected. Mellor is a trickster. Few of the clues are straightforward. He likes puns ... and at my expense. I curse him daily.

One of my problems is that I don't keep up with so-called "culture".  I don't know television shows, rock bands, movies. I do know art and literature, but that doesn't get me through an entire puzzle.Don't even get me started on scientific terms.  I have been cursing those damned crossword puzzles for a week.

Then Gary went to Seymour and found out that indeed I had turned off the air conditioner. I am not as forgetful as I thought. So why am I putting myself through this puzzle business?      

No comments:

Post a Comment