Saturday, August 10, 2013

Well Laid Plans

The plan was for me to meet Gary at our campsite at Lost Lake and then drive together to the Humongous Fungus Festival in Crystal Falls, Michigan.  And we almost made it, too.

After a second bad night of insomnia, I watched the early morning hot air balloon liftoff from my deck as I do every Burger Fest Saturday. The allergens wafted up from the gardens and I was soon operating through a haze and so it would be for most of the day.  I managed to pack up and make the drive north, but fell asleep when Gary took the wheel for the last part of the trip to fungus land.

We found the festival, drove up to and re-considered.  It was the usual Midwest festival, lots of noise and beer. I could not get excited about stumbling around for no other reason than to put a photo in this blog. Some philosopher once said that one of the joys of old age is the pleasure of not going. We admitted that it wasn't the festival we wanted to see, it was that big fungus, and that was somewhere else in the area, not at the festival grounds. You can find out more about the world's biggest fungus here   http://www.crystalfalls.org/humongou.htm


So we drove on through beautiful forest scenery.  We did stop for one photo, a picture of one of nature's surprises.  A tree had grown up in an unusual place and finally succeeded in cracking a boulder.
The tree is dead now, but its work is done.

We went on to Florence where I finally got to my favorite ice cream place.  We returned some books we took out at the library last week.  (I'll be signing myown books there in October.)

After that, I fell asleep.  I woke up briefly at Chipmunk Rapids while Gary filled our water jugs at the artesian well, fell asleep again then went into the camper and slept for three more hours.

So much for a planned day.  Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting.



No comments:

Post a Comment