Monday, July 22, 2013

Circle Tour - Day 8

In the middle of the night I woke up to hear the rain pounding on the tent. I figured there would be no hurry letting the tent dry in the morning but clouds gathered again again in the morning.  I quickly boiled water but when I began to pour it into my cup a dead earwig floated out.  Damn.  I rinsed out the pot and stated again but all I could eke out was 1 and a half cups of water enough for a cup of tea and a bowl of oatmeal.

I took the oatmeal over to the beach and there I noticed a red-breasted merganser swimming across the beach area with her six newly hatched ducklings, little walnut sized bundles of fluff.  They got as far as the ropes surrounding the area and panicked, breaking formation. They turned toward me and there was more confusion.

"Mommy, mommy, what is that big ugly thing there."

She steered them away from me to a corner of the beach where the rope dropped.  They all slipped over and were gone.  As usual, it was then that I remembered I had a camera.  Never mind, it was an enchanting moment that i'll hold in my memory.

As it had all night, the Canadian Pacific Railroad came through with a roar and broke the mood.

For that, I had a camera.

The rain began.  I whipped the tent down and left  by 7:00 a.m.

I was soon at Marathon, had toast at the A&W. There was a choice of white or brown toast.  I gathered that brown toast was whole wheat. A&Ws have wi fi.  I got the blog out.

In the mall across the way, I found some granola bars plus the Canada tee-shirt \Gary asked me to buy for him.  A postcard mailed to Evan at the post office.  Th city park that I thought might be an alternative camping place but no, I wanted to see Neys Provincial Park. I went on.

By now the extreme heat of the day before had changed to a chill.  Once my tent was set up, I put on my flannel jacket and looked for a place to read.  I hadn't much time for that on this trip.  I found solitude in the children's playground.  There were two benches that looked down at Lake Superior.


It was fall, or felt like it. 

When I tired of reading, I walked on the beach as far as Prisoner's Cove but we campers weren't allowed there.  There was a wedding in progress.  Later I would run across a park ranger whose job that afternoon was to pick up all the cigarette butts that had been dropped there.  Always the same, he said. 

I walked onto the trails for a bit.  Bunchberries are still in bloom here though they finished up in Wisconsin in mid-June.  
And I walked again on the beach, this time with a camera.

Tomorrow:  Neys to Rossport.


No comments:

Post a Comment