Sunday, July 21, 2013

Circle Tour - Day 7 continued

I planned on staying at Crescent Lake in Lake Superior Provincial Park but there was standing water everywhere after the rain.  I would be pitching my tent in puddles and hiking in ankle deep mud. I looked at the Rabbit Blanket Lake campground, too.  It was on higher ground so the ground was dryer, but when I opened the car door, swarms of mosquitoes and deer fly tried to fly in.  Again, not an option.

Besides, the sky was overcast.  If I stayed at Lake Superior Provincial Park, I would be stuck in either a very small tent or the front seat of my car.  On a rainy day, it made more sense to drive to the sun. I had a quick stop at Old Woman Bay to pay homage to that great canoeist Bill Mason and drove on.


At Wawa, I filled up with gas because the Canadian radio networks were talking about rising prices, due to America's economy improving.  People are working, they are buying gas to get to their jobs, and gas prices are rising.  Not what American networks are saying, of course. I used my charge card at the Esso station and that started my bank worrying that someone had stolen my card, even though I had explained the trip to my local banker who had made a note on the account that I would be in Canada.  It will take until Monday or Tuesday to get that straightened out and until then I can't use the charge card.  Good thing I am making money on the road!

Also at Wawa, I went to the local Subway.  All the way into town, Subway promised wi fi.  It didn't work when I was here with Gary a year ago and it didn't work now.  After struggling for a bit, I went on to the Tim Horton restaurant.   A year ago, no wi fi, but now it is in all the stores in the chain.  It is as reliable as the McDonald wi fi system.  I got my blog done there.

I finally came to the White Sand Provincial Park and signed in.  The campsite was lovely, right on the smaller of the two beaches.  It was quiet and serene.   I set my lawn chair on the beach and wallowed in the beauty of the place.

There was only one problem.  I went to fill my water jug and found out that due to e coli the water had to be boiled.  I realized that with my little pots, if I boiled the water the requisite five minutes, it would all have evaporated.  I had only about a quart of water left in my jug from the last stay.

I thought about moving on but I was so tired.  I had been driving all day. I figured I had enough water for a couple of cups of tea in the morning.  By 8:30 my tent was up and I was crawling in.  By 9:00, lights out.

No comments:

Post a Comment