Friday, July 26, 2013

Circle Tour - Day 10 continued

I am home now but will be writing about the tour for a few more days.  The stomach flu/cold seems to be abating. 

July 22, 2013

Still at a McDonald's at Thunder Bay, I still needed to find a way to Kakabeka Provincial Park and get an up to date weather forecast. A group of senior citizens were having some kind of a meeting.  Two of the guys gave me excellent directions to the park and told me that at least for this night, the rain was over.

I was soon at Kakabeka.  I chose a camping site far away from the falls and pitched my tent.  I was watched by some people across the way.  They were flying American flags in front of their monster RVS and had Wisconsin plates.

I went over to find out what they were doing.  They were on the Circle Tour, too, but heading the other way. None of them had been in Canada before.  They wanted to know about touristy places.  I couldn't help them much there, but I told them about provincial parks and places they could park their monster RVs.  I suggested Glen Valley when they got to Sault Ste Marie and said Marathon was a good city for quick service and internet access.  I told them about Tim Horton and Robin restaurants for good soup and internet access.  I suggested Serenity Gardens in Rossport though how they would manage to turn their vehicles around in those narrow village streets I had no idea.

My real fear was that they were just another bunch of ugly Americans that come here with their loud voices to tell the Canadians that they were inferior.  If Americans take time to listen instead of spout off they would learn something, but knowledge is frightening to some.

My campsite set up, I went over to photograph the waterfall.  The water was high after so much rain.  The beach was closed with a warning sign.
The word "water" had been taped over some other word that was probably "bacterial" so in any case I wouldn't have been able to swim.  In the entire trip, I'd gone swimming just once, in Michigan.

The high water meant that the waterfall was spectacular. It has been called the Niagara Falls of the North.


I went back to my campsite, set up my folding chair and read until it began to get dark. I wore my warmest clothes as once again, the night grew colder.

I had set my tent back toward the trees for privacy, but that night I was happy that those bushes provided a windbreak.


No comments:

Post a Comment