Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Trail

At least once a year I hike around Laura Lake. It requires a breezy, cool, rain-less day for optimum enjoyment. Those are the mosquito-less hikes. Today was the day.

There is nothing to it, really. The trail leads around Laura Lake, with Gordon Lake on the right during the final bit. The trail is clearly marked with white diamonds, so there's no getting lost.


Two trees were down across the trail, but that just makes this old lady work that much harder. I can still climb over and under these barriers.

We are post-trillium now, so other than a few bunch berry and wild strawberry blossoms, nothing was in bloom. I hiked in a green world. 

At one point I heard a flock (also known as a “conspiracy”) of ravens quarreling but didn't see them. Hermit thrushes sang their bell like songs but I don't know that I've ever seen even one.

It was one step after another. With many exposed roots I always had to keep an eye on the ground. As the terrain grew hillier, I opened up the aluminum walking stick which is a big help on the tall climbs.

Then the joy of a doe leaping up from the shrubs, waving her white flag as she scurried off. I knew, of course, that the fawn would be nearby, but why would I disturb its sleep? Babies should be left alone. If I really need a photo of a fawn, I could lift one from the internet.

I seldom meet campers on my hikes. Most of them stay close to the campfire eating and drinking. Sometimes the children tear around the loops on their bikes. They might even go swimming. Connecting with nature doesn't seem to occur to them. Oh well, it leaves the trails open for me.

We have only seen black bears twice on hikes, but I like knowing they are out in the woods not so far away doing bear stuff. I always chuckle when I see the “bearing tree” which is just a surveyor's marker.
Or is it a gathering place for bears?

I did pick up passengers: three wood ticks. This now puts me in the lead in the tick sweepstakes. Me, 5, Gary 4.

So I came to the end of the trail and found Ranger Kevin and a helper working on the outhouse the porcupine was gnawing on. They won't finish the repairs until the porcupine removal team arrives tomorrow.

A fellow in the Flats asked where I came from and I said I had just circled the lake.

“Too long a hike,” he said.

“Two and a quarter miles.”

“Way too long,” he said.

He seemed to be half my age but had a few pounds on him.



There were several campsites with dogs running loose. I stopped to warn them about the porcupine. One group had no idea what a porcupine was.
-----
Last night the temperatures dropped to near freezing. Early this morning the hummers were whizzing over to the feeder Gary put out.  They probably were in dire need of nutrition after a cold night like that. Later we sat on the shore line to catch some rays. A hummingbird was working away on dandelion fluff, so we assume the nest is progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment