Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lady Slippers and Swimming

Gary and I went down to wish the Gaulkes good-bye and to make sure they weren't trying to take that porcupine home in their RV.  Barbara told me that she had seen a pink lady's slipper on the walk to Gordon Lake.

If there was one pink lady's slipper at Gordon Lake I figured there would be more at the bog lake so I hiked over there.  Sure enough, there were about a dozen of them.

Yesterday it was yellow lady's slippers, today pink. We've found white ones in the UP before. Now my goal is to find a showy lady's slipper which are very rare.

My day would have been made with the lady's slipper but it got better.  The day turned warm and breezy.  Gary suggested that I might like to go swimming. The established swimming beach is at Gordon Lake but there is a tiny sandy beach on Laura Lake next to the the path that leads to the bog.  Gary loaded up his canoe with  a lawn chair, a small table, and a stool to rest my feet on. I took along my cell phone, a towel, a bottle of water, and another  book by Walter Mosley. Then he took me across the lake using his new trolling motor.  With the breeze so strong, it would have been way to difficult to paddle.

Once on the beach, I was in heaven. Behind me the forest, in front of me the water slap-slap-slapping against the shore.Behind me the warblers were singing.  The day was warm but the strong breeze kept mosquitoes away. The book held my interest until I got too warm, then I took a plunge into the lake. Once cooled off, it was back to the chair and my book.  I replenished the summer tan I got while gardening.

The clouds began to gather. I used the cell phone to call Gary who was paddling around at the other end of the lake.  He motored over, picked me and the gear up and we all went back to the campground just as the rain began.

So much more happened today but I will have to report on that tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment