Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Return to Laura Lake

I drove through pounding rain to return to Laura Lake and Gary.  I walked into the camper and headed straight to the bed.  I had been up since 4:00 a.m., did a lot of paperwork, chatted with Wade, visited the dentist, and then drove for three hours.  Time for a nap.

There is no better place to sleep than Laura Lake and today  it was rainy and cold, so what else was there to do?

Gary has been here, of course, while I was in Seymour taking care of business.  Tomorrow or the next day, he will take the Subaru and do the same route.  We will alternate trips for much of the summer.  While he is gone, I will be here reading, walking the trails, talking to other campers.  But most of the time, I will be reading and writing.

It is so peaceful here.  With cold and mosquitoes, there are only three other campsites filled, one of them by a solitary female camper I think I would like. She sits bundled up in her folding chair reading, her feet up on the picnic table.  Another adventurer.

Tonight we celebrated my return by going to Stony Ridge, a restaurant and gas station at Goodman. They have the best hamburgers around.  Now it is dark and raining once again, so we are watching Winged Migration, a French film, on the television.  It is one of the best nature documentaries ever filmed.  When we can't be out seeing nature for real, this is the next best thing.

Tonight, cold sleeping, with two extra blankets on the bed.  Maybe even a hot water bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment