Thursday, May 2, 2013

Instructions, Tomatoes, Sturgeon and a Camper.

This morning I read the instructions from the dentist and discovered that I had gotten them all wrong yesterday, probably because I was in a daze from the extraction. No problem, the bleeding is over, the pain is gone, but the next procedure, dental or medical, will be done with Gary's supervision.

When I looked in the living room, I found what Gary had been working on until 1:00 a.m., his new grill, quite an edifice with not only the barbecue grill but a gas stove. Gary, who used to work at Menards, is very good at putting things like that together, but I could see one little problem. When he woke up, I had to tell him that he would never get it out the door and onto the deck. It was far too big. He had to deconstruct one end of the grill to move it. Next time he constructs something, it will be with my supervision.  We are both 69 now and cannot be trusted with any kind of instructions.

Tonight is probably going to be the last cold night of the season.  Gary helped me move the tomato plants from the front porch back into the house along with the plants I bought yesterday.  Tomorrow we'll move them back.

I am still not able to do anything too strenuous so gardening is out at least until tomorrow. I had to be content with going to the hardware store to pick up onion sets. I hope to start the vegetable bed by the weekend.

This afternoon, I got two pieces of news:  the sturgeon run has been the fastest in state records, starting and stopping in only three days.  Gary and I will not get to be sturgeon guards on Sunday night after all.  This is such sad news, we love watching those big ladies.

The other news is that I missed a bit of excitement. One of the sturgeon became confused and swam up the Wolf River, made a bad turn onto the Shioc, then into Black Creek and wound up here in Seymour at the Lake Park where an alert citizen spotted her in the shallow water.  The police came, then called the Department of Natural Resources.  Two wardens came and with the help of the police netted her, loaded her in a tank on their truck, and delivered her to Bamboo Bend in Shiocton where she could join the rest of the spawning gang. I wish I could have been there for the excitement.

You can follow the whole story here.
 http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=2778

Gary has been in the Fox Cities all day, taking his van in for servicing, shopping and finally, checking out the camper he's been tracking for some days.  It was in Sturgeon Bay and now is sitting in Neenah.  He has put in an offer.  Tomorrow he is taking the old camper there and we'll possibly pick up the new one.  We figure on spending our summers in it.

I'll post photos tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment