Friday, February 8, 2013

Postcards

Today the snow storms were over and the road crews in Illinois and Wisconsin did their magic. By 3:30 I was home placating Rascal Cat with treats and petting.  Gary is home, too, at least until Monday. Feels good to have our little family together again. 

----

Whenever I used to go somewhere, I sent postcards home to Evan, my grandson, both so he got mail, but also to give him a sense of geography. It was easy enough.  I found a good assortment whenever I stopped for gas.  Every service station had colorful cards to choose from.  At least that's the way it used to be. 

This time was different. I couldn't find cards anywhere.  I stopped at every welcome center.  No postcards except for promotional cards for businesses.  

I tried Walgreens.  I've often found postcards there, but no luck.  

I finally found two postcards for Evan at a beach side souvenir shop in Biloxi and sent those. 

It is a sign of the times.  These days people take digital vacation photos with their cameras or cell phones or other devices and send them to their friends and families immediately. Why bother with a piece of pasteboard that requires a stamp and a trip to a post box?  

I understand that, but since Evan is still too young to have his own e-mail account, I'll keep on trying. 

------
Wade Peterson posted his latest short story today at Black Coffee Fiction.  Check it out at 
http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com   It's the tale of the perfect late night clerk at a convenience store. 

Now that Wade has moved with his family to Arkansas, we must do our writing long distance, so I was pleased to see his story show up on time.  Next week it is my turn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment