Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Driving to Illinois

As a rule I try to keep driving on my tours to seven hours or less.  Today was an exception.

I set my alarm for 6:00 and was on the road by 7:30.  I drove for seven hours with only one stop for gas and another for lunch and figuring out where I was.

At 2:00 I was in Jacksonville to set up for a talk about my travels.  I had time to run over to the Salvation Army to buy a shirt to go with my purple jumper. I was down to the last clean clothes.

I finished the talk at 4:00 and left Jacksonville soon after. I got lost in in the city but it was only temporary since the sun was setting and I wanted to go east.  After driving down country roads for a while, I spotted the prison in the distance and then straightened myself out.

Then it was interstate highways for five hours, going from one to another until I reached Dixon where I immediately got lost again.  Everything looked different in the dark.  I circled around until I got my bearings at McDonalds and headed to Plock Road and Gary.

We were planning on going on to Seymour tomorrow but Gary reports that Wisconsin is going to have yet another blizzard, so here we stay until Friday.

Tomorrow I will reflect on the trip.    

No comments:

Post a Comment