Thursday, December 27, 2012

Daylight


If I were in Seymour, I would have only eight hours and 51 minutes of daylight this seventh day after the winter solstice. As I count down to spring, I wait anxiously for each additional minutes of sunlight but by the end of this month, I'll only see a gain of three minutes.

Yesterday, I drove to join Gary in Illinois. In driving south, I gained an additional eighteen minutes of daylight, but with overcast weather, I haven't seen any sun and tomorrow snow is forecast. Still a gain is a gain.

At the end of January I will be here in Dixon again. By that time, this part of Illinois will have about ten hours of daylight. Even better, I will keep on driving south for a southern tour. At Pass Christian, Mississippi, the sun will shine for ten hours and 45 minutes and with dawn and dusk, that will be extended to almost eleven and a half hours. With a long day and the warmer Gulf breezes, I should be able to pitch my tent and enjoy the evenings on the beach.

These winter trips south help me keep my sanity and hold off seasonal affective disorder...at least for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment