Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Interrupted

This was not the Christmas I expected or planned for.

First, right before Thanksgiving, Gary had to go to Illinois to take care of his aunt and the family farm. I was left here to decorate for the holidays.  Usually, he does the lights and my work comes after with the ornaments. I was on my own.

Next, there was my annual Winter Solstice Party.  I invited everyone I knew, cleaned, decorated and cooked.  Then came the blizzard, and I had a turkey, a ham and plenty of other food for the three friends  that were able to get here.

So for the past two days, I've been taking all that leftover food and figuring out ways to use it.  I made turkey noodle soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey on salad, and finally, ground up the rest into treats for Rascal. I prepared the ham for scalloped potatoes, setting some aside for bean and potato soups.    

There was still Christmas Eve to come with Evan and Those People He Lives With.  I had already bought some presents and this morning baked sugar cookies to decorate with my little grandson.  This afternoon I drove to Oshkosh to meet my best friend Norma who joined me in shopping for last minute gifts for Evan.

It was right after I dropped her off at her sister's house when I got a cell phone call while waiting for a freight train to go by.  It was son Chris who called to tell me that Evan has the flu and he isn't sure they could come tomorrow for our usual Christmas Eve. Instead of supper here, church services, trading gifts and a trip to the cemetery to light a candle with my little family,  I may drive to Appleton to deliver Evan's presents.

Then on Christmas Day I'll drive to Illinois and Gary...if the weather permits.

It feels like Christmas Interrupted. Gary says think about next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment