Saturday, October 13, 2012

Good bye Summer

With rain and strong winds, the leaves whirl down from the trees.  The furnace is on, the air conditioners taken out two weeks ago.  Our Halloween decorations are up.

Being stuck inside got wearing, so in spite of the rain Gary and I went for a walk to the supermarket to get some supplies. We wore lined rain jackets, stocking caps, and gloves.  It was cold. On the way back, I mentioned there was a garage sale so we went there, too.  It was inside the garage so at least it was warm. Gary found a honing strap from the 1920's, a stove lighter from the 1970's, and a bird book he hadn't seen before.  I found a coin purse. And that was likely the last rummage sale of the year.

But the thing that smacks of winter is the taco soup simmering on the stove. I made it with the tomatoes that were ripening on the kitchen windowsill.  I picked them before the first frost. There are still some onions to harvest, but tomorrow that will be done and the vegetable garden cleared.  We'll be eating our produce until the new year but then it will be back to store bought.

Spring seems so far away.

Because I was feeling down, I took a long nap.  When I got up Gary had done two things.  He bought me ice cream, always a cure for whatever ails anyone.  And he changed the opening screen of this computer with a photo of me sitting on a lawn chair on a sunny beach on the edge of Lake Superior, followed by a slide show of summer scenes.

Spring still seems far away, but I know it will come.


No comments:

Post a Comment