Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Upcoming Election

Gary and I voted yesterday, but I'm a political junkie so I still watch what is going on with the Presidential, Senate and House campaigns.  I keep track of what's going on in the battleground states.  I read the on line newspapers and watch the PBS News Hour.  The Huffington Post has an on line interactive electoral college map I find fascinating. I check that daily.

Wisconsin gradually has turned into a "blue" state, trending toward the President instead of Mitt Romney.  This means that more and more of the campaign funds from either side are being shoved into competitive states like Ohio, Florida and New Hampshire.  This is a relief to everyone.  I now get only two or three pieces of campaign literature a week.

I managed to get off the Democrats' call list years ago and the GOP finally followed suit.  I now get about one call every other day which is not bad, considering.  I removed myself from their e-mail lists, too.

Though there are few television ads left, I tend to watch public television where there are no campaign ads at all.  So tonight I am watching a nature program on wolverines (incredibly rare in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, but they have been sighted), Secrets of the Dead about one brave Russian who refused to start a war during the Cuban missile crisis, and a Frontline documentary about climate change doubters.

Not a single negative political commercial of any kind.  That means I am better informed than most voters.

As usual, Gary and I will take a long drive on election day, leaving early.  We won't come home until late, sometimes even going to a motel somewhere to spend the night.  The next day, we'll find out who won and that will be that.







No comments:

Post a Comment