Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another Unexpected Day

Today we were visited by a charming thirteen year old girl and I found her fascinating.

I write a lot of short stories, mostly about people beyond the teen years.  Two of my stories last year were about teenage boys.  I see a lot of these boys at our fitness center. I eavesdrop on their conversations so I think I can get their "voice" right when I write dialogue.  And of course, I raised a son.

I've never written a story with a young girl in it.  Teen girls don't seem to talk to me much.  At that age they seem to be in giggle mode, glued to their cell phones.  Here I had one captive.  She told me what she was reading and how much she wanted a Nook like mine.  We talked about our travels and where we wanted to go next. I showed her my photo in front of the Sydney Opera House, a place she yearns to visit. She hates camping and told me why.  She is a gymnast and we both gloried over Gabby Douglas's triumph at the Olympics.   She plays percussion and I play the piano. There were games she and her friends play that I've never heard of.

I would never use things she told me in a story, but I liked hearing the cadence.  Conversation is never easy to write, so we writers listen all the time wherever we are.  We are the world's nosiest people.

Meanwhile, I have a short story due tomorrow.  I know what I want to say but I don't exactly know how to finish the thing.  I will get up early and do my best to get it to final draft state when Gary's nephew comes to finish painting our bathroom.  At that point, I won't be able to write unless I grab my notebook computer and work on the deck.

At noon I present the story to Wade and Betty for critiquing and head to Shawano to do a performance at Birch Hill Nursing Home.  I'll be home by 3:30 for last minute corrections to the short story and post it by at least 4:30 p.m.

Then it's off to the bank to do some re-financing.  Then comes the Burgerfest balloon rally with grandson Evan and his parents.

Gary removed the bathroom door so no privacy for us until tomorrow night.  We will avert our eyes, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment