Monday, June 11, 2012

Weather

Gary came up to Wisconsin's north woods toward the end of May, camping first at Laura Lake then moving here to Lost Lake.  Other than three days in May, I stayed at home to do the gardening, digging into dry ground to remove weeds and working up the soil for the many plants I purchased with a gift certificate from the church on my retirement.

I left Seymour on Thursday with the gardens at the front of the house complete.  I had purchased plants and filled pots all around the house.  I watered everything thoroughly and left secure with a weather forecast for rain on Saturday.  The rains never came and now the forecasters are suggesting that central Wisconsin could have something that has never happened before, a dry June.

It is very likely that many of the things I planted last week will not survive the drought.  I am philosophical about that except that I could have been spending those many weed-hacking days enjoying the camping here in the north, where the weather has been as close to perfect as can be.  It rains at night making for cool sleeping and is sunny during the day.  When it is warm, there are sweet breezes to moderate the heat.

I return to Seymour in two days to take care of Rascal the Cat and consider the summer.  The past three summers were bad for gardening because of my health, travels and bad weather.  Would my time be better spent in the forests?  




No comments:

Post a Comment