Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Last Day at Lost Lake

Yesterday, I had one last day at Lost Lake.  Gary will stay until Thursday but I have things to do here in Seymour.  We put a lot into that one day however.

We began with a trip to Florence where we visited the new St. Vincent de Paul.  I found a wonderful pants suit, perfect for me, but I told Gary the problem with it was that it was perfect for occasions I didn't want to be any part of!  I bought it anyhow for $2.25.  

We visited the wonderful ice cream parlor with its multitude of flavors.  I tried Lady Bug, which is French vanilla swirled with chocolate, caramel and pecans.  

At the Wild River Interpretive Center, we chatted with the attendant who has been there for years and knows all the gossip.

Gary bought a sub sandwich at Subway and we carried it off to Perch Lake which is part of the Lauterman Trail system.  I solo camped at a walk in site years in a brilliant September autumn, but then drought hit the north and the lake dried up to a big mud puddle, so sad.  I am happy to say, the lake is slowly recovering.  This day there were white fragrant water lilies and yellow bullhead lilies as well.   We sat at a picnic table, ate our meal and took it all in.

I wasn't ready to call it a day, so hiked around Lost Lake again.  As I began to walk, a shadow crossed my path.  I looked up and it was the osprey.

The trail follows the lake shore.  It is easy hiking as long as one keeps an eye on tree roots.  
Every so often, one of the giant trees ends its life in a windstorm.  The national forest rangers come through and cut sections out for people like me to pass though I am perfectly capable of crawling over a log.
Near the boat landing, there's a tepee some children created.  
I wondered how they managed to make their little cave then went around the back and found out that they had built it against the roots of a fallen tree.  The tepee has been there for a year or two.  I wondered if any of the woodland creatures had wintered in it.  No sign of any and now there are people passing by every so often.  No creature would want that much human company.

Late in the day, I was resting beside the fire when Gary came up from the shore to tell me to get my camera.



A bald eagle was calming perched above our canoe, waiting for something.  Gary thought it might be the osprey.  Our white headed friend was still there at sunset, ready to chase his mortal enemy away.

I left Lost Lake this morning, but there was one more surprise for me. As I drove, I was listening to public radio. A retired Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources warden was talking about his book and how to report problems.  Just south of Moody Lake, a flock of crows were chasing a large bird.  I looked up to see what was going on, when the big bird swooped down.  It was an eagle and he missed the car by a feather.  I am so glad I didn't hit our national symbol but if I had, I would have known exactly the number to call: 800 TIP WDNR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment