Friday, June 8, 2012

One Thing After Another


With rain forecast at Lost Lake in the Nicolet National Forest, near the Michigan border, my plan was to relax with a good book or two. 

I had a few books on reserve through the Seymour Library dating back several months ago and suddenly, in the course of three days, five of them showed up, just in time for this camping trip.  In paper, I have My Two Moms,  by Zach Wahls and Michelle Obama's kitchen garden book.

Three e-books arrived,  Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, Brian Lamb's book on historical landmarks, and Coraline, by Neil Gaimon.  Then I have another book soon due at the library, though that's renewable, plus a Nevada Barr e-book I purchased some time ago.  I figured if I read a book every other day, I would be OK. After weeks of gardening, days of reading and relaxation sounded about right.

We began outside, sitting on lawn chairs as we read, occasionally feeding chipmunks at what Gary calls The Hard Rock Cafe. 

The rain drove us inside finally.  I continue reading until mid-afternoon when Gary decided we needed to pick up supplies.  He needed batteries and such at the Ace Hardware in Iron River, Michigan, and that led us to St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store to buy a swimsuit.  I left my swimming bag hanging on a hook at home. I found an Eddie Bauer swimsuit for $2, like new and it fit perfectly. 

At Angeli's supermarket we found the produce we need.  The Family Dollar had the aspirin I take daily.  

Then it was off to the Lake Ottawa campground to visit our friend Anita Joy.  

But before that, we came over a hill to find Mama Raccoon trying to hustle her three kits across the road.  We pulled to a stop as she nosed one kit off the road, but the other two cheerfully scooted under our van and climbed on a rear tire. We made all the noise we could but they stayed right where they were, chattering away. What was our problem anyhow?  Mama had taught them to climb up something in an emergency, and here they were on a perfectly good tire. There was no way we could move without squishing the little guys and cars were coming down the road.  

Finally, Gary crawled under the van and using my jacket, picked up one, then the other and carried them across the road where Mama could find them. There are little paw prints all over the jacket. I didn't think to take a photo until it was all over. 

We had a brief chat with Anita Joy, who could talk for hours if given a chance, but begged off because we were off to an old fashioned Wisconsin fish fry at Fritz's in Long Lake.  Fritz is still there, though he's been trying to sell the place for years.  The fish was good, and off we went down Fay Lake Road toward the campground.  We took Fay Lake Road because several years ago, we saw a black bear there. 

Sure enough, there was a yearling several miles down the road, about 150 pounds Gary estimated.  I tried to take a photo, but it turned out blurry.  Still, a bear!

Next stop was Chipmunk Rapids where we get water from an artesian spring.  We came to the bridge over the rapids and there was our next critter.  It was a big mama snapping turtle busy laying eggs in the dirt at the side of the road.  It wasn't an auspicious spot because ATVs often drive off the road there, but there is no arguing with a big snapper who can bite fingers off humans if irritated.  

Gary tried taking photos but the camera malfunctioned. Usually, we try to herd turtles across roads to safety, but she was busy doing her matronly best to preserve the species.  We went on.

So here we are, back at Lost Lake after a day with Nature's children, and the only photo we have to show for it is of the chipmunk.  

You have to take my word for all of this.

----
Wade Peterson's latest story about a last meal is at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  This brings us to 38 short stories since last September.  I must write my next one here at the campground.




No comments:

Post a Comment