Saturday, June 9, 2012

Observations

Warm, balmy winds blew across the lake as we sat in our lawn chairs just off the shoreline.  When we got overly warm, we shoved off and swam for a bit, then came back to read some more.

It was this morning that I realized that yes, I had brought along plenty to read with library loans and e-books on the Nook, but none of them could go out on the water. I had to turn to the "beach books" library stored in the camper.  We bought them at library book sales last fall and this spring.  At fifty cents a book, they could tumble into the water, no worries.

Today, Gary was trying to read one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Peters and having a tough go of it. With his urging, I was reading a Kinky Friedman novel.  I think we both came to the conclusion that dropping both books in Lost Lake would be a blessing.  Instead we will take them to the Florence library on Monday and peruse their book sale racks.

We spent some time discussing chipmunks.  The Laura Lake chipmunks are fat and sassy little beggars, willing to climb on laps if they are ignored in their pursuit of peanuts.  The Lost Lake chipmunks are thin little guys, who look like they had a bad winter.  They come for peanuts if they are offered, but keep their distance.

Gary has four hummingbird feeders up and we get regular visitors there.  Birdseed offerings are being ignored by all species, even though I saw a rose-breasted grosbeak on the trail and called to it to follow me back to the campsite.

I was just finishing my after dinner cookie when a bird almost hit my head, flew past and landed on a birch tree a few feet away.  It was a black backed woodpecker, rare almost everywhere else but Lost Lake which seems to be woodpecker heaven.  There are hairy woodpeckers everywhere and the occasional monster pileated version. One year we think we saw a three toed woodpecker.  Robins are one thing in the morning, but the racket of all those woodpeckers in the morning would wake the lately deceased.

So our days go here at Lost Lake.




No comments:

Post a Comment