Saturday, April 21, 2012

Furnace

It was cold last night, near freezing outside, and not much better when I woke up this morning. An early riser, I usually am awake around three hours before that night owl Gary pulls himself out of bed.

This morning I was up at 5:30.  The thermostat is automatically set to go up to a higher temperature at 6:00 and yet higher at 8:00 so I didn't think much about it being chilly in the house when I came downstairs. I put on a woolly hat and a warm vest and set to work at the computer.  Rascal meowed in complaint and wanted to be on my lap but that is usual for the old guy.

It never seemed to warm up so after working a couple of hours, I checked the room thermometer and was surprised that it was only 50 degrees in this office.  Gary came down soon after to discover the furnace was out.

On a weekend, it would cost double to get a furnace repairman in, so I told Gary we could last until Monday.  We've made it almost to the end of April and we make it a rule never to run the furnace from May to October.

Soup making is one way to warm up a house so I soon had a kettle on the stove with vegetables simmering in a rich tomato broth.  It is probably the last soup of the season.  I used up last summer's tomatoes and okra in the last batch.  With today's soup I ran out of dried oregano. It's growing in the herb garden now, so tomorrow the dehydrator will be put to work.

I made a pound cake, too, which took 90 minutes in the oven and used up the eggs left over from Easter.

By noon, the temperature outside had risen and with a little passive solar energy, the sun kept the house warm for the rest of the day.

By this evening, Gary had the furnace running again, but should it conk out tonight. I'll be making banana bread in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment