Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spring is Popping Out All Over


Sandhill Crane Photo

The day was warm and when I got home from visiting with a friend and going to the critique group, I took off walking around town.  More fine weather is to come.

Out on Miller Road, Susan Manzke has reported the arrival of the first sandhill crane. Soon they will be all over the state.  Once almost extinct here, they now are considered by some to be a nuisance, in fact, some legislators want a hunting season. I can't imagine anyone wanting to shoot such a magnificent bird, but some hunters will shoot at anything.

On April 14, I will be counting the cranes for the International Crane Foundation out of Baraboo, Wisconsin. I've been doing that for years.  It's one of the rites of spring for me.

I have seen a robin near the Methodist Church but since robins often over winter, that is not a sure sign until a flock shows up.

A surer sign of spring is when Gary throws the first bratwurst on the grill, which he did tonight.  It is not exactly the best idea since he has a cholesterol problem, especially with potato salad on the side, but oh, it was good.  We'll behave ourselves tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment