Friday, March 9, 2012

It's Coming

When we started to plan our summer activities, I began to realize that it wasn't going to be all that easy to get a short story written every other week for the blog I write with Wade Peterson, Black Coffee Fiction,  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com   We are going to be out camping and traveling.  Where will I find the time?

I've been too lazy this winter, simply dipping into a store of stories I've written over the years.  I still have several left, but now I need to get busy and work ahead.

Where would these ideas come from?  I was struggling to find a story this past week when I remembered newspaper columns I wrote years ago.  I began to look through them and found so many stories.  The one I published today "It's Coming", is based on a trip I took to Texas.

I was at Galveston when hurricane warnings were issued.  I had to drive back to Wisconsin chased  first by the hurricane, then torrential rainfall, followed by a blizzard.  It was one of the most harrowing experiences in my life.   But I was able to re-work it into a good short story. I left out some people, added characters, even changed the car I was driving.  For some reason, a Camero worked better than a Chevy Nova. I changed the ending...after all, I survived the experience remarkably well. The heroine in my fictional story is not so lucky.

That is what I have observed throughout my life.  Good news does not make good writing.  The worse the experience, the better the story.

So now I have my source for stories.  Best to get to work and write them before summer comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment