Sunday, March 11, 2012

Finding Spring

After church, the day warmed up.  Gary had opened all the windows and doors to air out the house.  He repaired the picnic  table and was warming up the grill for a bratwurst feast.  It sure seemed like spring.  After we ate I went out to find it.

First I went over to the library.  A week before, the snowdrops looked about to burst into bloom, but then the snows came.  I was sure that once the snow melted, they would be in their glory and I was right.



But even better, the first crocuses were showing their color:  

After seeing the library's bounty, I wanted to see what Mother Nature had to offer, so I went off to the Good Shepherd woods, located beside the nursing home  

There used to be good trails out there, created by a boy working on becoming an Eagle Scout, but over the years the trails have become overgrown.  The markers that used to tell about the types of trees and flowers are no longer there.  

At this time of year, I couldn't easily get lost because the bushes had yet to fill out. However, I had to climb over logs, go through bramble bushes (getting some nasty cuts) and jump across water.  Nothing was in bloom yet.  The snow had too recently melted. I did find the beginnings of marsh marigolds in the swamp water.   



I came away with wet shoes and socks but it was well worth it. 

When I got home, Gary had canoe bars on his van.  By Wednesday, the temperature should reach the mid-70s F and we may well be out cruising down the Wolf River. 

One final spring note:  this evening I came across a rowdy bunch of cedar waxwings, who had all the signs of intoxication.  They probably had found some fermented berries.  They will sober up overnight and continue their journey north. They too are looking for spring. 








No comments:

Post a Comment