Monday, March 12, 2012

Biking Around the World

I've written before about my imaginary walk westward around the world.  I'm still working on it, with 18,213 miles walked, only 140 to Belgrade.  With warmer weather, I'm averaging three miles a day.  Even today, with rain, I managed two miles.

Up until three years ago, I was doing another imaginary trip on my exercise bicycle.  In this trip I traveled east across the United States, skipped islands across the Atlantic to England, then went south through the English "Chunnel" and on to Europe, marking the miles off on my map of western Europe.

My knees went bad in 2009 when I was approaching Athens.  At that point, I had to give away my exercise bicycle, especially when Gary moved in with me and we didn't have much room.

This year, I began to use the recumbent  bicycle at the fitness center and found the angle was better for my knees, so once more I am biking a few miles a week.  I finally am continuing my trip, only 282 miles from  Athens.  Though we won't be using the fitness center over the summer all that much, I still think I will reach Athens and travel on eastward to meet my walking self heading west.

Then, if I live long enough, both imaginary selves will meet once again back in Seymour.


No comments:

Post a Comment