Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Illinois bound

We received word that one of Gary's father's first cousin died in Illinois so we will be heading south tomorrow.  She was 98 and essentially just wore out.  In a case like that, the funeral is a social event, relatives connecting with relatives. Since I don't know most of his Illinois family all that well, I will be meeting new people and getting a course in genealogy.  Gary says everyone had too many children so he could never figure it all out.

We plan on visiting two cemeteries to see gravestones from those who have gone before.  We'll visit Gary's childhood haunts and he'll tell me stories.  I'll make note of some of them because I am the historian in this family.

You never know what will happen.  I met Gary's cousin Donna (he's not actually sure how they are related) at his father's funeral and hit it off immediately since we both have a wacky sense of humor.  We've been writing back and forth ever since.

So off we go on what we consider our first winter outing.  I'll be posting from a motel in Rock Falls, Illinois until Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment