Sunday, November 27, 2011

Six to go

Yesterday was Thanksgiving with Chris, Tisha and Evan and Tisha's family.  It was a fine meal and a good time, but what pleased me the most was that Evan read to me. Before, he was sounding out the words without really getting the meaning.  Now he reads with a dramatic flair, even making sound effects. He will be moved into the second grade reading group next week.  

Then I met my best friend Norma in Oshkosh for a quick meal. I would have liked to spend more time with her, but I hate driving at night at this time of year.  It was the end of deer hunting season, so the deer were in motion.  It was raining and if the temperature dropped, it could mean slippery roads.  Then there are drunk drivers to worry about.  To add to all that, the brake light went on last week to show a drop in brake fluid. That seems to have been fluke because the problem hasn't been repeated, but I still checked the well from time to time.

This morning was church, but when that was done, I could come home to finish decorating the big Christmas tree.  This takes hours, because each ornament comes out of the box along with memories.  At the top of the tree is a red bird that once was on my mother's tree.  It is probably older than I am.   

There's a glass ornament my grandmother gave me when I was perhaps five years old. I've kept it safe all  these years.  It is high on the tree, safe from my grandson and Rascal.  The ornaments on the bottom are often batted around by that cat, so they have to be unbreakable.  (This is an improvement on two years ago, when he hid a dead bird under the tree.) 

There are ornaments that Chris made when he was young, and now I have ornaments from his son.  I love the electronic ornament with a recording of Evan saying, "I love you Grandma.  Merry Christmas!"  It's two years old now and is an important memory because that sweet little voice is maturing.  

I always have candy canes on the tree.  Years ago, old Jake Dog used to munch all the canes off the bottom of the tree. These days, one or two will leave here with Evan.  I don't mind. 

It's a rather crowded tree, but I love every ornament and the memory attached. 

Not to be outdone, Gary put up his own more contemporary Christmas tree in the living room.
With the two fiber optic trees in our offices, that makes four trees.   Tomorrow, Gary will be adding six small trees to the deck.

Christmas has come to Mathom House.  No turning back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment