Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Celebration of Lights

It was a cold blustery day that kept us inside.  Gary busied himself putting up decorations, while I worked on Christmas cards and publicity for our upcoming choir concert.   


But tonight, the wind died down and though it was cold, it was time I got out and walked. The night was dark, with only a crescent moon in the sky, but now we begin the month of the celebration of light.  In the Christian calendar, it is the period of Advent with the lighting of the Advent candles.  In the Jewish tradition, it is the eight days of Chanukah, also called the Festival of Lights.  African Americans celebrate Kwanzaa beginning December 26 with its tradition of seven candles. 


As I walked through the town tonight, I enjoyed the Christmas lights beginning to pop up at houses here and there.  In another week, the lights will glow up and down the streets.  In mid-winter, I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, but the seasonal light displays fend it off until the middle of January. 



My friend Margaret, from New Zealand, used to think American light displays were foolish until I explained to her that in the darkest of days leading up to the winter solstice, those lights helped us keep our sanity.  In New Zealand, the seasons are just the opposite, so her Christmas falls on the hottest of days. 


After visiting her country, I suggested that the Kiwis could use some festivals of lights, too, but in June and July.  




So Gary and I move on to Christmas with four trees and candles flickering here at Mathom House.  It is a quiet joy that will not last, but for now, it suffices.





No comments:

Post a Comment