Friday, November 25, 2011

Shades of Green

"Shades of Green", my depressing Christmas story is now posted at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

Almost all of my stories contain an element of fact.  They are based on something that I know has happened to someone, if not to me.  My imagination takes flight from that starting point.

"Shades of Green" is probably as close to fact as anything I've written so far.  I did indeed have to do my son's paper route twenty five years ago when he was sick, though as I recall, it was on Easter, not at Christmas.  It was an enormous route with extremely heavy newspapers with inserts on Sundays and holidays.  

The bedroom I described was mine from the hanging plants to that Kelly green afghan.  I did not, however, have a therapist...though I probably could have used one after that morning.  

Most of my stories start with character.  From time to time, I have been an actress.  There is no other way to act than to immerse oneself in the character to the point of becoming that person even off stage.  That can be disconcerting to family and friends.  

The same is true of the writer.  You create a character and watch them do things almost on their own. You live with them even when away from the keyboard.  

Abby, the heroine in "Shades of Green" is not me.  She is more fearful, more considerate of others than I am.   Yet once in a while, there are parts of Abby that I recognize in myself.  I do my best to quash them.  

Please read the story...and write comments, good or bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment