Thursday, November 10, 2011

More Signs of Winter

Although it isn't officially winter until Solstice, yesterday's snowstorm says winter is here. I walked Atom for the first time since Monday. My boots collected the slush that froze on the bottoms, so I switched to shoes that had a better grip.  Soon, I stepped off the sidewalk, and my foot went through snow to flowing water beneath. The walk couldn't end until Atom had done his business, so I finished with cold wet feet.

There are some signs of winter.

Today I put the last of summer's tomatoes into soup.  I know that I will yearn for fresh tomatoes come January, but for the moment, I am heartily glad to be done with them.

Gary is caulking any place he thinks cold air might slip in. He measured the door leading to the garage. He wants to find an insulated door to replace it.

Tonight, I located the Christmas cards I bought in January.  Though it is only November, I keep turning to the December calendar to mark down holiday plans.

The United Methodist Church will hold its yearly advent concert on December 11, and that means scheduling extra rehearsals.  It also means hours of practice on the piano for me.

The writers and artists I know will once again join me for a Solstice celebration on December 15.  The exact title of the event is the One Size Fits All Sing for Your Supper Solstice Party.  Attendees must either perform or bring a dish to pass. Most do both.

Once again, Methodists will hold Las Posadas, the Hispanic Christmas celebration on December 17.  This is a favorite of my grandson Evan because he'll have a chance to pet the donkey and later whack away at the pinata. 

There are three church services on Christmas Eve, although only one my choir will sing at. Evan and Those People He Lives With will be here that night. Christmas Day is a nativity scene on a farm, but it is unlikely Gary and I will find time to be at that.  


It will be January before things slow down. Then we will truly be in the depths of winter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment