Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Abusing Gary

Today Gary turned 68 and that required something he considers abuse...in other words, we celebrated the day instead of ignoring it.

I found some birthday banners at the Seymour hardware store and by the time he woke up, they were tacked up around the house.  Later, I moved them to the windows at the front of the house so that everyone in the neighborhood knew he was getting older.  I announced the event on Facebook and encouraged others to acknowledge his natal day.  And acknowledge they did, with rude comments.

Gary was good natured about it in morbid way.  He posted a list of celebrities who died at the age of 68.

By mid morning we were hit with the first winter storm.  Gary, like many American men, likes to prove his masculinity by driving in snow, slush and ice.  He suggested we drive north to Rhinelander where we could find snow six inches deep.  Instead I gave him a big breakfast of buttermilk pancakes slathered with strawberries and whipped cream. He claims I was trying to kill him with calories but I was just trying to slow him down.  Instead of braving the worst weather, we both took naps.

Tonight we joined his family for a birthday celebration at a restaurant in Appleton, so he had his chance to drive on icy roads.  By then the road crews were out clearing and salting so it wasn't bad. We ate more than we should and took turns teasing Gary who was, after all, the oldest member of the party. (He's five months older than I am.)

Tonight we are home.  The banners will come down and tomorrow and life will go on as usual.  

I hope he is kind to me when my birthday rolls around.
 

1 comment: