Monday, November 7, 2011

Milestones and Markers

There are milestones or at least places to stop and take stock.

I mark the miles I walk on road maps in an imaginary walk around the world. I started in Seymour and headed west. Eventually, I crossed Alaska's Bering Strait to Russia, crossed Siberia and finally passed Istanbul. This trip has gone on for years, but it has kept me exercising. There are years when due to injuries, I've had to slow down a bit, but I am determined to eventually "walk" back to Seymour.  Yesterday, at 9:00 pm, I made my 18,000th mile. I have 152 miles before I reach Sofia, possibly in January, then go on to Bucharest.  I estimate that I have 7,000 miles to go. At the rate I am going, I should be able to finish the trip in less than ten years.

Two other milestones are the blogs I am involved in.

This blog will have its 10,000th "hit" in a week or so.  I have readers from around the world who are helping me achieve this goal. I check daily to see which nationalities are checking in on my life.  Who are you? I keep wondering. Why would someone from Jersey want to read about a Midwesterner like me?  Why do fifteen Germans at a time clock in?

The other blog, Black Coffee Fiction (http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com) reached a thousand "hits" last night, after only eight weeks in existence. Wade and I have been trying to interest book clubs in the short stories, offering to be available for on line chats with the participants.  Today, a librarian e-mailed to say she was going to suggest this to her patrons.  Black Coffee Fiction also is beginning to interest foreign readers.  We seem to be getting Russian fans and yesterday, one from South Africa. We hope for comments on our stories, even negative ones are welcome.

And so it goes, milestones that teach us and push us forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment