Thursday, November 17, 2011

Groceries

Seymour is not all that big (population around 3,750 depending on which way you come into town, the signs vary).  It does have what many towns our size don't have:  a good grocery store.

Gary tends to think the prices are better in bigger cities like Appleton or Green Bay, and he may be right overall, but when it comes to sales, Don's Quality Market can't be beat.

I always begin my shopping by looking at Don's ad in the local shopper on Monday afternoon, though I can also look at the on line ad on Monday morning.  I have a good idea of what I am willing to pay for anything.  I clip coupons, make out my list and I'm ready to go.

Yesterday, I bought a package of fresh spinach, 2.7 lbs of oranges, 1.24 lb of broccoli, 2 lbs. of baby carrots, a pint of milk, four bags of frozen vegetables (1 lb. each), and dessert topping.  Because I had bought these groceries, I could use two coupons on a nine lb. turkey.  The cost for everything was $21.18.  According to the store receipt, I had saved 49% on my groceries, or a total savings of 20.85.

I showed the receipt to Gary, who said I had done so well that I should go back and buy more.  In other words, to save another 50 percent, I should spend twice as much.

I'm not sure about that logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment