Monday, October 10, 2011

Good-bye to Laura Lake

Two days ago, with temperatures in the mid-80s, Gary and I put on our swimsuits and went for a very, very quick dip.  The air temperature might be warm, but that water was so, so cold, so it was jump in, scream, and come back out.  Still, swimming in October was worth the shock.
For two days, I caught up on reading I had put off for much of the summer.  Once back in Seymour, I wouldn't have as much time. From time to time I would look up at the lake with a sigh.  The leaves were falling so fast.
This morning, I packed quickly and said good bye to Gary and Laura Lake. 

Before I drove off, a hermit thrush flew past the cook tent.  On my way out of the campground, a Hungarian partridge ran in front of the car, just as he had every time I came through that area.  Near Highway 8, I just missed hitting three deer that suddenly came out of the brush.

(Governor Scott Walker has just hired a Texan as the new Wisconsin "deer czar" because some hunters have been complaining that the Department of Natural Resources managment techniques were leading to a lack of deer during hunting seasons.  This bemuses anyone who has to drive in Wisconsin.  One can see fields with as many as 50 deer.  That includes areas around Seymour.  If hunters cannot find deer, it is because they are inept.)

I'll see Gary in a few days.  The bear and the signs go into storage.

I won't see the lake again until spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment