Friday, October 14, 2011

Garage Sales

This afternoon, Wade Peterson posted his story "Garage Sale" on our short story blog: http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/

Wade's story made me realize why I don't hold rummage sales anymore. Years ago I stopped having them.

I didn't mind digging through my possessions looking for things to throw out. At heart, I am a minimalist. The less I own, the happier I am.

I didn't like marking prices, so when I had garage sales years ago, everything was 25 cents, so matter what it was.  (I once sold a pair of skis for 25 cents.)

I didn't like sitting around for two days on cold days or hot days, and it always seemed to be one or the other. I didn't like the sheer boredom of sitting there. When I had to stay put, I wanted to leave, to go anywhere but that old garage.

I didn't like people looking through my things.  Wade got that right in his story.  People pawed through my things, my life, making rude comments.  Unbelievable.

So now, once a year, I dig through my possessions, looking for things to throw out.  Then I take them to Goodwill.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found something to like in my story. I came up with it while working my sister-in-law's garage sale. Stories like these are what happens when a writer gets bored.

    ReplyDelete