Thursday, August 25, 2011

Soup

Today I am trying to figure out how to process the tomatoes rapidly ripening in my garden.  What made me think it was a good idea to start nineteen plants?

The Roma tomatoes are not yet ready to go in the dehydrator yet.  I have two Big Boys that I will take with me when I return to Lost Lake tomorrow.  Gary and I will be eating BLTs for a couple of days.

I have is far too many cherry tomatoes for salads, so today I am making vegetable soup.  My recipe is simple:

Start with one can of chili.  This takes care of the protein part of the process and adds a nice zest.  Add the tomatoes.  Then go into the cupboard, refrigerator and freezer and start throwing anything that should be used up into the pot.   The soup is never the same but always interesting.

Today, there are green beans from the garden, a can of sweet corn, broccoli from Tuesday's farmers' market, the dregs from a bottle of catsup.  From the freezer came okra (which sort of makes this gumbo, if I understand southern cooking), and peas.  From the refrigerator, carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. I pulled basil, oregano, pepper and salt from the spice rack.  Oh yes, lots of garlic, good for the heart and soul.

The pot will simmer the entire day.  Toward the end, I will add a tablespoon of brown sugar.

This recipe usually makes ten individual portions which I will freeze up and pull out on cold winter days.  


After four more days of camping I will be home dehydrating more tomatoes, chopping up and freezing zucchini for sweet breads, and hanging up herbs to dry.  I'll make spaghetti sauce, salsa, and more soup, probably my favorite Kansas City steak soup, using up some ground sirloin I found in the back of the freezer.

The squirrels in my back yard are working hard, too, gathering seeds and nuts.  We all prepare for the hunkering down season.

No comments:

Post a Comment