Monday, August 8, 2011

Morning in the Woods

I woke up earlier than Gary.  To let him sleep, I went out to the cook tent, got water boiling, and made myself a cup of tea.  Then I set to work. 

I am enrolled in the adult summer reading program at the Muehl Public Library.  I must read six books on a variety of subjects by the end of August.  I didn't get started until I got back from the west coast, so I have five to go.   I began to read the second book on my list.

Then the distractions started.  The whrrrr announced the arrival of the ruby throated hummingbird at the feeder Gary hung from the clothesline.  I had to take time to admire the sparkling colors as one by one, the birds whizzed in to partake of their nectar. 

I went back to work, recording the events of the previous day in my journal, the paper one I use on camping trips.  These go back two decades.  But then our neighbors from the next campground woke up and I had to observe their comings and goings, too.

We met the Battens, Marilee and Brad, last year when we camped at Beaver Lake and became friends.  They live in Illinois, but they love the Wisconsin woods.  Gary has made himself their guide, pointing out all the beautiful places the should visit.  Yesterday, they took his waterfall guide and went out to explore the many falls in the area. Last night we heard all about it when they joined us at our campfire. 

They took a walk down the road.  I finished writing in the journal.

Gary woke up in time to turn on the radio to listen to Laura Erickson's "For the Birds" on public radio out of Duluth.  Today we learned a bit more about cedar waxwings. 

And now I am on line, thanks to Brad's special wi fi hook up.  I bless him for this because I won't have to leave the campground in search of internet service to post this blog.

But I still haven't read that second book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment