Saturday, July 2, 2011

Changed Priorities

“Changed Priorities Ahead”. That's a road sign I saw in England. It is the sign that tells the driver that a two way street will become a one way street or vice versa. Changed priorities ahead seems to be what is happening here.

It began with warm weather. I decided to go to camp in a place in the mountains where it would be cool and with the help of the Forest Service picked out Jack's Gulch in the Roosevelt National Forest west of Fort Collins.

The drive was along the Cache las Poudre River, a raging wild white water river. The road was cut into the granite directly next to the river, so there were high bluffs above, the river beside, and high bluffs on the other side. Every so often, some people more insane than I flew down rapids on rubber rafts.

Signs said, “In case of flood, climb”. Simple enough but how to climb steep granite bluffs? With these old knees, in case of a flood, I was a goner. I drove on.

If one were in an accident the choices were two: fly into the river, or crash into a cliff. Pickup trucks pulling campers either came toward me or crept up behind me. I took full advantage of the pull off strips to let drivers pass and go on their breakneck speed, limits be damned!

The campground was not the isolated place I expected. Including the equestrian camp adjacent there must have been a hundred sites. Most were electric, not usual in the forest campgrounds I had been in. There were two camp hosts, one for each of the loops. There were already campers, pop-ups, recreational vehicles and few tents. The host said the campground would be filled by Friday night but he would give me a nice quiet spot in the tent only area.

Yes, it would be quiet there, but I had to lump all my gear along a path. I got busy and did so. Everything in place exactly where I wanted it. Then a young couple showed up with three children and two dogs and set up their tent a few yards from mine. They were glad for their spot, the woman said, because their dogs wouldn't annoy anyone there. What was I? Oh well, I thought.

Then it began to rain, a downpour. I have indeed been a rain goddess on his trip, bringing showers everywhere. When the going gets tough, the tough take a nap. I slept for an hour or so and the rain was over, but now it was windy.

I set up the cookstove and warmed up a can of ravioli. I ate it directly out of the pan and set the teakettle on the stove. The stove went out. I checked and the propane tank was empty. I pulled another out, one that was partly filled, I thought. I was wrong. It, too, was empty. Here I was, miles from anywhere and no way to cook any of the food I had brought along. No breakfast for me.

So I went to my tent early to get a good night's sleep but the wind came up and soon the tent fabric was rattling. I still slept well, probably because of the refreshing cold. I think the temperature dropped below 50 degrees that night.

On the next morning, I rose early as usual. I made cold tea and opened a can of peaches and wolfed them down. Breakfast done, I took my walking stick and went out to do the Jack's Gulch loop hike. Everywhere there were signs that said “No horses on the trail,” so of course, there was horse manure everywhere. I've always liked horses, but their riders could use some training in manners. I took photos of the wildflowers for Gary. I took photos of snow capped mountains and prairie meadows.

Then I packed up and left. This time, for most of the way, the river was on my left, meaning a crash into the granite was unlikely, but the river would more likely be my doom. But no problems of that nature occurred.

I stopped once at a pull off when I saw a ranger and asked his advice on the best way down. He suggested turned at Stove Prairie Road which would give me new terrain...and no river. This route took me through cattle country with high foothills and enormous ranches.

At Masonville, I stopped at the general store to get some granola bars for breakfast (it was almost noon) but opted for ice cream instead. Hey, sometimes you need ice cream to get through a day.

Soon I was in the outskirts of Loveland and found a Walmart to replace those pesky canisters. Meanwhile, I phoned Betty in Golden to see about retrieving the absentee ballot I had forwarded to her. She invited me to stay the night. Whoopee! I grabbed a sandwich to eat then started to Golden down Highway 25. Soon I was in a traffic jam and wound up having to take an off ramp.

Basically, I was lost but assumed that if I would head toward the mountains I would find the way. I also needed 104th Street. I kept going through stoplight after stoplight. The car was running smoothly, no stalling as it had been for two days in the heat. I finally pulled off at a post office to get some help. I called Betty and found out I was at Arvada and what do you know, on exactly the right street which would eventually lead to a filling station where she could meet me.

I finally came to Carl's Corner, a gas station. I stopped and steam began to come out of the car's hood in billows. Coolant blew out of the bottom in a big puddle.

I called Betty. It was the wrong filling station, but it was the best place to break down. There was a mechanic, who thought it was a hose, but he was leaving for the July 4th weekend. I could leave my car there.

So here I am at Betty's. I have to deal with a broken car, a computer that is refusing to connect to the internet, and bookings in Utah on Tuesday. Betty is expecting company so I will have to find a motel for the night. I will spend the day looking for the mechanic that works weekends. I will find a place to post blogs. The libraries are closed, of course.

So as I said, changed priorities ahead. I wonder what they will be.

P.S.  Not as bad as it sounds.  Stay with me on this one.

1 comment:

  1. Somewhere I saw a picture of a road sign that was in some rugged mountainous place like Tibet that said, "Bash On Regardless." Seems as though you are doing just that. Go, Colleen!!

    ReplyDelete