Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wednesday - Southbound

It was hot at Ayres Natural Bridge Park but worse was the wind.  I thought the tent would unravel overnight.  So it was pack up in the morning and keep going.

I had two performances, one in Glenrock and the next at Douglas.  Darn good thing it was so hot because I had the Douglas performance on my schedule as 1:30 and they had it at 1:00.  Because of the heat, I arrived early to enjoy the air conditioning and it all worked out.

With temperatures approaching 100 degrees, of course the air conditioning in the car cut out.  I left the windows open and kept heading south, glad this was desert heat, not the humid kind we get in Wisconsin.

I drove pretty much non stop until I got to a little community south of Cheyenne.  The restaurant there had wireless so I had a very lengthy supper and caught up with my e-mail. I was enjoying the air conditioning, when a big tent next to the window toppled over and made every attempt to go through and whack me with shattered glass.  I screamed and three heavyset bikers rushed out to hold the thing down.  They also moved their bikes which would have been creamed.  I moved to a safer location and stayed for almost two hours.

I always calculate on staying in a motel about every ten days and tonight was a good time.  I found an air conditioned Motel 6 with good rates and disappeared in the room to enjoy some civilization.

I took two showers, one in the evening to cool off and another in the morning just for cleanliness sake.  I took everything out of the car and re-organized.  I gave some clothes I wasn't using to the desk clerk (she was exactly my size).  I got rid of a few other things and moved many things to the back of the car, thereby making the passenger side free to shoot air at me.

This morning, I did two loads of laundry.  While the laundry was in the machines, I walked around the outside of the motel until I found what I was looking for, a guy putting a backpack in his SUV. Where's a good place to camp in Colorado? I asked.  He not only had topographic maps, he had some good advice.  Go to the forest ranger station in Ft. Collins and ask.  I did so and am now on my way to Jake's Gulch, above 8,000 feet and cool!

I am not sure if I'll manage to write a blog tomorrow, I'll be pretty isolated.  Be sure, I am still have a whale of a good time.

1 comment:

  1. Hope things continue to go well for you.
    Love reading your blog.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete