Saturday, June 4, 2011

Turning the Corner


The terrace strip is almost cleared with the help of the city's gardeners who jumped at the chance to get free plants. Since most of my perennials were gifts from others, it makes sense to give them away now.  I've actually enjoyed this interaction with like minded people, even if it meant losing the flowers. 

Today the sun shone on us as we worked.  This has been a frustrating spring in Northeastern Wisconsin.  We gardeners couldn't get to work in April as we usually would.  Even May was rainy and miserably cold. 
 Here at Mathom House, it was slow going..  Gardening with winter gloves is not very effective.  I plugged away and today felt it happen, the magic of summer. 

Gary went into gear this weekend, mowing, pruning, trimming and setting up birdbaths and fountains.  I cleared yet another bed, this time the rock garden and suddenly it all was coming together.  Oh, I still have at least one quarter of the back yard garden plots to weed and plant but now I know it is possible.  

For the past hour I've been wandering through the flowers admiring them.  The terrace strip may be gone but the back yard is mine. So far, the city can't do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment