Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Day at Day Lake

Here in the center of the Chequamagon National Forest, Day Lake is 624.7 acres of water. If there are motor boats on the lake, they tend to be widely separated, so Gary's canoe is not likely to be swamped by wakes.

There are six campground loops. Before I even got here, Gary figured out that if I walked on the roads through all of them and included the registration station, my total would be 3.6 miles. I do this at least once a day. I hike along listening to sandhill cranes, white throated sparrows, ovenbirds, and loons. Along the roads there are wild strawberry and blueberry blossoms. With all the rain, there should be a good crop by the end of June. Gary keeps his wildflower identification book handy. There are both Canada and wood anemones. I can't tell the difference but he can.

I would prefer walking on the wooded trails but wood and deer ticks are currently a problem. Gary has already been bitten by a deer tick. Not all deer tick's carry Lyme's disease, but I am keeping an eye on him. If he shows symptoms, he goes right to the emergency ward.

I had a deer tick of my own but I discovered her before she attached herself to me. I believe in regular tick inspections.

There are 52 campsites here and as of last night, 27 were occupied. The ATV people left this morning, leaving a quiet crowd save for the occasional barking dog or crying baby. There is one fellow who is running an industrial generator but he's far enough away from us not to be a nuisance.

So we walk around, read in front of the fire, or watch the sunset. That's enough excitement for today.





No comments:

Post a Comment