Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Exam Day

This was the day for tests, the physical kind. I set everything up for the same day, but that meant a couple of days devoted to my health.

Yesterday it was fasting, drinking copious amounts of liquids, and clearing my system, if you know what I mean. I stayed home all afternoon, working in this office, which is next door to the bathroom. It also mean sleeping on the sofa last night, because the living room is also adjacent to the bathroom. We were having a heat wave. I may be one of the few who thought it a blessing because I am never hungry when temperatures go over 90 degrees F. (33 C.)

This morning it was early to rise. I had absolutely nothing to drink since 10:00 pm, which in some ways was the most difficult part of the procedures. Brushing my teeth never felt so good as I let a few drops slide down my throat. By 6:30 a.m. Gary was driving me to Appleton and Encircle Health where all the tests were to be run.

First came the lab work with blood being drawn. I was being tested for glucose since diabetes runs in my family. So does high cholesterol. So far I have neither, but it pays to check it yearly. Six weeks ago, son Chris reported that his blood work showed way too much iron and suggested I have mine looked at, too, so that was another test.

From the lab, I was whipped over to mammography to be pinched and squeezed. My sister died from breast cancer, so that's another necessary test.

Finally, a colonoscopy, something I've never had before. My brother-in-law is now struggling with colon cancer. Nothing genetic there, but let's be thorough, I thought. I had interesting chats with the nurses and the English doctor, but I can't remember much about that now, because I quickly was sedated. When I woke up, there was Gary listening to the initial report, which, I found out, is very good. I even have photos to prove it, which I have offered to share with friends. So far, no takers.

With a clean bill of health, I won't worry about various illnesses...until Seasonal Affective Disorder kicks in the middle of January and I won't think I'll live until March.


No comments:

Post a Comment