Saturday, May 21, 2011

Evan's Surprise


I received this photo of my grandson three days ago and have been thinking about it ever since.

That first tooth is gone and others will soon follow.  I've been through it before with his daddy.  Back then, the tooth fairy brought him quarters.  These days, Evan gets silver dollars.

Inflation changes some things, but not others.   I still have all of Chris's baby teeth in my jewelry box.  I remember the tristesse as I watched them accumulate there. It's the same now.

Yes, those teeth coming out are part of growing up, but that's the part I don't like: the growing up.  When all the baby teeth are gone, and the permanent teeth in, the shape of Evan's face will change.  Gone will be the smooth little baby face I've loved.  He will still be Evan, but a growing Evan.  Before we know it, he'll be worrying about zits and girls.   Then comes driving.  College.   By then, his grandmother will not count for much in his life.

Ah, life goes on.  I hope the tooth fairy collects those little teeth and puts them somewhere safe.  They are precious, as is Evan.

No comments:

Post a Comment