Friday, May 27, 2011

Day Lake


The loons have arrived at Day Lake. They shriek their lonely cries at night. The Canada geese start our day with their honking. Later, the eagles call. This is the way we start our day in the Chequamegon National Forest.

Gary has been at this campground since May 18. Most of the time he was alone because it was cold and rainy. He didn't care, he was in the forest. I had too much to do back in Seymour, so only arrived here yesterday.

Day Lake is not our usual campground. There are 52 sites and over a nice Memorial Day weekend it would be packed with campers, but with cold and rain forecast it might be quieter. Usually, we look for a small campground that doesn't allow ATVs or motorized boats. Day Lake was Gary's choice because it was easy to get to. Most of the out of the way spots we cherish have roads that haven't been improved yet this spring. We'll save those for late summer and fall.

It was cold last night, with a forecast of 23 degrees. We don't think it got that cold but we bundled up anyhow. I slept as I always do in the forest, a deep deep and satisfying slumber.

Gary and I have different ideas about camping. He is a pack rat who considers every gadget a necessity. Me, I like simplicity. I will have a pop up tent on my summer tour. Still, I must admit that it was nice to have a furnace on a night that cold.

This weekend there's an ATV rally so we have ATV neighbors. I'm never sure why anyone would want to ride with a group of dozens of other ATVs. It would be far too noisy to see any wildlife, just the trees. Certainly Gary has not seen any elk since they arrived. But then I seem to have the wrong idea about camping. Camping means quiet for me.
.
However, the ATV rally was meant to be last week but was rained out. Now it is scheduled for Sunday when we can expect a lot more rain. I am one of the few Wisconsinites who is praying for a deluge.


No comments:

Post a Comment