Friday, February 18, 2011

Packing Light

I bought the dress in yesterday's photo at a New Zealand re-sale shop for the equivalent of $1.75 US currency. It's a great dress, doesn't show wrinkles, can be washed in a sink and dried in less than two hours.  I've carried it with me every summer for years. It wears like iron.

Planning a trip doesn't mean a lot of shopping beforehand.  

Since I'll be in 25 different libraries in June and July, I could wear the same dress in each place..though I'll likely have three performance dresses so each smells fresh and ready to go.  Two pairs of sensible low-heeled shoes are all I need, plus one pair of hiking boots.

Should I need more clothes, there are always re-sale shops.  I've found wonderful bargains at a Salvation Army store in Alaska's  Kenai Peninsula (everything in the store 25 cents), a Goodwill in Sioux City, Iowa (two storeys of stuff), a Salvation Army in Boulder, Colorado (yuppy castoffs), and a St. Vincent de Paul in Michigan's UP (new swimsuits $2 each).  I won't even get started on garage sales, though one I went to here in Seymour had all clothes marked at 10 cents each, including Disney, LL Bean, and Eddie Bauer shirts.

Every place I'll be visiting will have stores where I can get essentials such as soap and toothpaste.   So I pack light and have fun shopping as I go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment