Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Newly Published Author

I am entering a new world of technology.   As of this morning, my e-novel was published on Amazon.com.   It took me two weeks of tinkering, but it's done.   Some things of note:

1.  I've learned that nothing is easy.  I never did figure out how to justify the right margin, but I will.  There were two points of view in the story, separated by spacing in my manuscript.  Most of the time that worked out but once in a while the paragraphs run together.  I'll have to figure out how to correct that the next time I try an e-book. There were, as expected, some words I should have corrected despite all my proofreading.

2.  I like running the show.  There were no agents, editors, or publishers involved, and that meant no rejection letters.  Neither will there be autograph sessions at book stores.  I learned to hate those when my first book was published.

3.  I like the immediate feedback of comments and sales reports.  When my children's book was published, I got  very little back from the publisher in the way of readers thoughts, and royalties were reported quarterly.   Now I will find out about the book sales every day.  I've already sold three on day one.

After taking a day off, I will begin the task of deciding which of my many unpublished projects will next go to the Internet.  Will it be the story of my amazing Jake Dog, the best dog ever?  Will it be tales from my trip to China?   Will be it be the novelized story based on adventures I had in Scotland?  Or the collection of extremely depressing Christmas stories?  The year stretches before me filled with opportunities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment