Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lack of green and gold fervor

Seymour, Wisconsin, my hometown,  is a mere sixteen miles from Green Bay so you would think I would follow the Packers, but I don't. For me,  football is a game,  and only that. I wonder about people who seem to owe their sense of self worth to whether a sports team wins or loses.

What I do like about Packer games is that during their duration, I can go on solitary hikes, knowing that there will be little or no traffic noise and no one to disturb wildlife with guns, snowmobiles or ATVs.  Christmas shopping is made so much easier when the Packers are playing. My favorite coffee shop is empty so I can sit with my notebook computer and write short stories.

I take no foreign visitors to the Packer Hall of Fame. Why would they care?  There is so much more to see in Wisconsin than that.

 If I were to follow football, I would only watch the final quarter, which seems to me to be the important one.  I mentioned this to a friend, and went on to say I never saw the point in watching anything but the ninth inning of a baseball game, the last few minutes of a basketball game, and so on.  She said, "You really like to cut through the crap, don't you!"   She was right.

So no, I own no green and gold shirts, wave no pennants, worship no quarterbacks.  I yearn for February when the season is over and my friends will once again be capable of sensible conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment