Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Places I never miss

I've been to Arizona twice yet have never seen the Grand Canyon.  I've visited Las Vegas, but did not have time to see Hoover Dam.  I drove through Seattle on my way to Bellingham to catch a ferry to Alaska and never even stopped to drink cappuccino at a Starbucks.

That is the sad truth about being a touring artist.  We rush from place to place to make our performances and pass by scenic wonders.   That is why I have stopped setting up work after 23 performances.  During those five weeks,  I will make it a point to stop at Zion National Park to look at the canyons.  I've rushed past Theodore Roosevelt National Park four times while driving through North Dakota. This time I intend to stop.   

I want to see the California redwoods. Oddly, I once visited redwoods, but in Christchurch, New Zealand.  Because things grow at an astonishing rate because of volcanic soil, the Kiwi redwoods had gotten mighty big in the 80 years since they were planted in the botanical gardens, but I still expect to be amazed at the California trees.

While I'm at it, I want to visit a few old friends.  Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park in North Dakota has always been a favorite of mine.  I want to camp in the  Gallatin National Forest in Montana again.

Poring over the maps will be a pleasurable past time during a cold Wisconsin winter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment